Useful Contacts

Teenage male looking downwards

There are lots of other people who can give advice and support to children and young people attending a Children’s Hearing. These are some of the agencies who may be able to give you more help and advice…

Advocacy You can bring someone else with you to the Hearing to help you, such as a friend or a relative. They can support you and help you to have your say. You can also ask questions at your Hearing. You have the right to bring along a person called an advocate to your Hearing. The advocate is someone who can support you and help you to have a say. You can contact your local council as some of them provide children’s rights or advocacy services for children and young people or you can visit the Hearings Advocacy website.

Children’s Rights Officer Every council (local authority) in Scotland has a Children’s Rights Officer (sometimes called a Children’s Rights and Information Officer). They can give children and young people information and advice and help children and young people to represent their views and have their say at meetings (including Children’s Hearings). Contact your council to find out more about your Children’s Rights Officer.

Clan Childlaw  The Scottish Child Law Centre provides free legal advice on children’s rights and child law in Scotland to children, young people and adults. You can contact the Centre by emailing Please visit their website for further information

Scottish Child Law Centre The Scottish Child Law Centre provides free legal advice on children’s rights and child law in Scotland to children, young people and adults. Contact the under 21s freephone – from a landline call 0800 328 8970 or from a mobile call 0300 330 1421 – or email They are also on Facebook and have a website a and you can contact them through that.

Scottish Legal Aid Board Legal aid helps people who cannot afford to pay for someone to help them with their legal problems. More information is available on the Scottish Legal Aid Board website or you can call 0131 226 7061.

There are also some other agencies who may be able to give you more help and information…

Breathing Space Breathing Space is a free, confidential phoneline service for any individual who is experiencing low mood and depression, or who is unusually worried and in need of someone to talk to. Lines are open: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am. or call 0800 83 85 87

ChildLine ChildLine is the free helpline for children in the UK. If you have a problem and want to talk to someone about it, you can call their helpline. If you call the helpline it is free and the person you speak to won’t tell anyone you rang them. Call the helpline on 0800 1111 or visit their website at:

Children and Young People’s Commissioner Scotland CYPCS promotes and safeguards the rights of children and young people living in Scotland. The Commissioner is here to make sure all children have their rights respected. or call 0131 346 5350.

Just The Right Space – this website is aimed at children, young people and adults seeking support and trying to understand how the justice system works. The website includes information and advice, the rights you’re entitled to and other people’s experiences, and places that can offer you support. The website was created by the Children and Young People’s Centre for Justice (CYCJ) and has been co-designed with young people who have justice experience. Visit their website at:

LGBT Youth Scotland LGBT Youth Scotland’s vision is that Scotland is the best place to grow up for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex young people. Their mission is to play a leading role in the provision of quality youth work to LGBTI young people that promotes their health and wellbeing, and to be a valued and influential partner in LGBTI equality and human rights. More information is available on their website:

Samaritans The Samaritans can help if you or someone you know is having a difficult time. You can call them free any time, from any phone, on 116 123 or you can email them via More information is available on their website:

Scottish Women’s Aid Scottish Women’s Aid website has information for children and young people experiencing or witnessing domestic abuse at home. Plus, Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline is open 24/7 for anyone, of any age, gender or sexuality, who is experiencing abuse. You can call them free on 0800 027 1234 or email or you can chat online with them at It is a private service and there are experts there to listen to you and support you.

Young Scot Young Scot gives young people loads of information to help them with important decisions and to make sure they are aware of all the great things available to young people locally, nationally and internationally. More information is available at: You can contact Young Scot  by emailing them at or by phoning the InfoLine on 0808 801 0338 (Mon to Fri 10am – 6pm), or by texting ‘callback’ to 87023.