SCRA as a Corporate Parent
On 1 April 2015 we became a proud Corporate Parent.
By law (the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014) Corporate Parents must carry out special responsibilities. We also have a moral duty to provide the best possible support and care we can to the children and young people we are involved with.
SCRA’s Corporate Parenting duties are:
- to be alert to matters which might adversely affect the wellbeing of looked after children and young people.
- to assess the needs of looked after children and young people for services and support they provide.
- to promote the interests of looked after children and young people.
- to provide opportunities for looked after children and young people to participate in activities designed to promote their wellbeing.
- to take action appropriate to ensure looked after children and young people access these opportunities and make use of our services and support.
- to take any other action considered appropriate to improve organisational functions to meet the needs of looked after children and young people.
We initially published a three year Corporate Parenting Plan in 2017. This plan sets out the commitments that SCRA will be making to children and young people over the three years to improve their individual experiences of the Hearings System.
Then in April 2018, we published our second Corporate Parenting Plan specifically aimed at young people. This covers the second year of our three year plan and sets out our Corporate Parenting actions for 2018-19.
Our next plan covering the final year (2019/2020) was published in spring 2019.
Reporting on our plans
Information for young people – We published our first Annual Report for Young People in January 2018. This looked at some of our corporate parenting activity in 2017. Our second Annual Report for Young People was published at the end of January 2019. You can see both these reports in the young people section of our website.
Information for partners – In October 2018, we published for the first time a new report within our Annual Report focusing on our corporate parenting activity during 2017/18.
Want more information?
To support the Corporate Parenting Plan, we have a website aimed at young people. The website – www.mycorporateparents.co.uk – is a joint initiative with Children’s Hearings Scotland. The site provides young people with a more interactive version of our corporate parenting commitments and activities.