Requesting Information from SCRA

Your right of Access

You have the right to ask for and obtain from SCRA a copy of your personal data, together with an explanation of the types of data being processed, the purposes of the processing, details of the third parties to whom the data may be disclosed, how long we will process the data and information about your other rights in respect of your personal data; unless an exemption applies.

Children and young people have the same rights of access to their own personal information as adults and the same right of privacy.

A person who has parental responsibility (i.e. is a relevant person) can ask for information held on behalf of their child.  We must be sure that the request is on behalf of the child, we may seek the child’s consent for information to be provided to their parent, if we feel this is necessary.

A request for information about yourself (or on behalf of your child) is called a subject access request.  To make a subject access request, please email SCRA (as below) or speak to any member of SCRA staff.

When emailing us, please include your name, address, full details of the information or documents that you require. Please also include a telephone number so we can telephone you to clarify any details if necessary.

We need to be sure of who is asking for the information, and may request proof of your identity to enable us to process your request. SCRA will respond to requests within one month of receipt of a written request and valid proof of identity.

If you have any difficulty in identifying the information you want to access or would like advice on how to request information, then please email

If you submit your request electronically, SCRA will provide the response in a commonly used electronic format (usually PDF) unless it involves case information. In order to protect your personal data and the data of others, we will not send any case information in response to a Subject Access Request, electronically. Instead, this information will be provided in hard copy and sent by Special Delivery.

The right of subject access, is a right of access to your own personal data. If your personal data is held alongside another individual’s personal data, their personal data will be redacted (removed) from the copies provided unless we consider it reasonable in all circumstance to release their personal data to you. Other exemptions in relation to information that has been provided to a children’s hearing, legal professional privilege, confidential references, negotiations may also apply. Further information can be found in the Subject Access Request Guidelines.

Freedom of Information Requests

The records that SCRA hold are also subject to the terms of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA). The Act gives individuals’ a general right of access to all types of recorded information, held by SCRA.  However, there are limitations in what personal information can be released under FOISA.

For more information on how to make a Freedom of Information request and to access SCRA’s Publication scheme, click here.


If you are unhappy with the way we process your information, please speak to our Data Protection Officer.

The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at and on 0131 244 9157.

You can also write to them at Ochil House, Springkerse Business Park, Stirling, FK7 7XE.

If you remain unhappy with the way we process your information you can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at the contact details below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545 745 (or +44 1625 545745 if calling from overseas)

More information on DPA can be found on the Information Commissioner’s web site –

If you have any questions or would like to know more about how your information will be used please see our privacy information or email

Receive our e-news bulletin

Enter email to sign up to our newsletter